"once you find the life you love, you have to find the courage to live it." ~John Irving

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday Thoughts

I cannot believe it's March 18 and I am sitting outside in a lawn chair enjoying the day!  The weather to come this week is almost unheard of this time of year!  The weather coupled with the fact we had very little snowfall this winter is going to make the fire danger soar this spring.  I have to admit forestry is one of my favorite parts of the fire service.  I got my first experience with forestry right out of the fire academy and enjoyed every minute of trekking through the woods.  That year we had a very dry March and April and by the middle of April the winds had picked up and so did the fire danger.  Had my first forestry experience on Mount Major in the next town over.  I spent two days up on that mountain from the initial attack to several days later during mop up.  Mount Major happens to be the closest peak to our house and it's one of my favorite places to view the lake.  We almost always take visitors up because the views are spectacular in every direction.  I haven't been up since the day after Christmas.  This is Mt. Major in late spring!


Scout and I had an enjoyable six mile run this morning.  We did an out and back so we could have two water stops along the way.  What a lovely morning it was.  Perfect weather in the high 50s after the fog cleared.  I purposely waited until the fog was gone so I can have good visibility.  Now I can spend the afternoon either working on my latest knitting project or reading.  I am working on a lace cardigan sweater with yarn I frogged from another project.  I just hope I have enough because knitpicks.com doesn't offer that particular color anymore.

John is currently planning his annual trek up Mt. Washington to ski Tux.  I enjoy going along for the hike and it makes for a great day of cross training.  It also means I get to try out one of my Christmas presents!  Looks like we are going earlier this year because of the unusually warm weather.  I just hope that there is snow from the parking lot up because that makes hiking so much easier.  No rocks to roll your ankle on.

No comments:

Post a Comment