"once you find the life you love, you have to find the courage to live it." ~John Irving

Friday, March 30, 2012

Funday Friday

Today was a bittersweet day for the rehab department at work.  We said goodbye to our wonderful student who has been with us for the past 12 weeks during her Level II clinical.  But we also know she is now one step closer to becoming an Occupational Therapist.  I have been a practicing OT for the past 10 years and have had students for the last 7 years.  I made the decision early on in my career to become a fieldwork educator.  It's my way of giving back and here is the reason why...

I can remember sitting in Hewitt Hall back in 2000-2001 choosing where I wanted to go for my fieldworks.  Heading into late April, I believed I was all set.  I would be heading off in June for a spinal cord injury summer camp and then spending my fall at Crotched Mountain.  We had confirmations on both of my placements and I was excited.  Flash forward into early May, the school received a call from the summer camp saying that the previous OT had quit and the new one already had a student for the summer.  In a nutshell I was screwed.  Thankfully a very nice OT up in Berlin said I could come spend my summer with her doing inpatient psych.  Berlin??  Where the heck was that?  Oh it's up in the Great North Woods...up beyond Pinkham Notch.  I don't think I had ever been that far up in the state.  I was totally stressed.  I didn't want to do mental health and really didn't want to live in Berlin.  It was another country as far as I was concerned.  I toughed it out and it was one of the best summers I have ever had.

So once I got a job I decided that as long as I was living fairly close to the Durham campus I would offer up  my services and have take students.  And my students, all except for one, have been absolutely wonderful.  They are competent, caring, and compassionate young adults who are excited to learn and become solid entry level therapists.  And with this, I wish Alicia the best of luck as she heads out to her next clinical.  May she only have half of the fun she had with us.  And I hope her feet stay warm and cozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment