"once you find the life you love, you have to find the courage to live it." ~John Irving

Saturday, May 12, 2012

2012 Big Lake Half Marathon

heading for the end!
What a beautiful day to run!  The weather started off seasonably chilling with temps in the upper 30s and it was a crystal clear day.  I'd say it was nearing 70 at the end of the race with a breeze rolling off of the lake.  As I drove off the hill that we live on, I was enveloped in fog and then just like that drove out of it as I headed past the four lakes on the way to Alton.  It was bright blue sky without a cloud to be seen.  I did eat my fair share of black flies and one almost choked me as it went down the wrong pipe.  The only downside to the half today was that I got very cold around mile 7 and the goosebumps stayed with me until the end.  I didn't feel off except that I was cold.  It took a hot shower, some food, caffeine, and a nap to get me back to feeling normal. I am sure the two Advil didn't hurt either.
Steve-O and I at the finish

I managed to avoid all the orange cones (for those who know my history with cones, this is a BIG deal) that were all over Alton as I went to park my truck and narrowly avoided rear ending an SUV at the Alton Circle first thing this morning.  The driver was pulling a scene right out of National Lampoon's European Vacation..."Hey kids, look there's Big Ben!"  Then she suddenly stopped mid circle to try to let traffic onto the circle from Rt 11 not realizing she had the right of way.  Thankfully I was awake enough to hit the brakes and my horn.

EndorFun puts on a great race at the Big Lake and if anyone wants a fun, well-organized race then give this one a try.  The proceeds of this race benefit the New Hampshire Make a Wish Foundation.  The aid stations are well done and the post race food is great.  Mmmm Jordan's ice cream!

I'd like to thank my fans (Megan, Karen, Max, and Andrik) for their support, tissues, and pictures!  I also have to thank Pat O'Brien at Alton Fire for tissues early this morning before I ran past Megan.  Damn allergies kept me coughing and sputtering most of the day!  And of course, a big shout out to Steve-O who ran with me today and then scampered up Mt. Major after.  I managed to finish in 2:22 by my Garmin.  That's only four minutes off of 2011 and given the warm temps, I think it was a darn good effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment