"once you find the life you love, you have to find the courage to live it." ~John Irving

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

WIP Wedesday

"Oh you knit?  What are you 70?"  "Knitting doesn't sound like something a cool aunt does."  "That is so frontiersy..."

Yup just some of the comments I get on a regular basis because I knit.  No I am not 70, I am a very hip 33 years old and I just happen to be able to make things with some sticks and string.  And trust me, it's not just something your grandmother does anymore.  I know lots of women and even a few men who spend their time making wearable art.  I have found a wonderful knitting community online with Ravelry.  The website is a haven for fiber artists and it's place where inspiration and ideas are shared.

Knitting has become an expensive hobby of mine, but at least it isn't drugs although it is addicting.  I cannot tolerate the feel of straight metal needles and acrylic yarn in my hands now that I have played with organic cottons and merino wool.  I am not being snobby because acrylic definitely has it's place, it's just not my favorite thing to work with.  It squeaks when you try to slip your needle into it.  Makes me shudder just thinking about it.  In the past 10 years that I have been knitting (holy smokes, it's already been that long!) I have tackled mittens, hats, socks, sweaters and made my fair share of dish cloths.  I broadened my horizons last summer when I made several lace scarves.  And I will continue to grow and maybe one day tackle cabling.

Currently on my needles is a lovely light gray sweater for the husband.  It doesn't look like much now, but give it a week or two!  It's a take 2 since the last sweater for him was an utter flop.  He was wearing the still unfinished sweater around the house prior to Christmas until I begged that he take the wretched thing off!  I learned my lesson and only top down sweaters for me from now on.  My other project is upstairs being blocked and hopefully I can wear it out this weekend.

So no I'm am not your grandmother and Megan and I are cool aunts...just ask the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment