"once you find the life you love, you have to find the courage to live it." ~John Irving

Friday, April 13, 2012

Afternoon on Blue Job

Took a short walk after work today up to the Blue Job fire tower over in Strafford.  It was a gorgeous afternoon to be out with John and the little dog.  The wind gently blowing to keep the black flies at bay and the warm spring shining on our backs.  We head up Blue Job several times a year, it only takes a mere 10 minutes to get to the top and the views are stunning.  To to the east we could see Rochester and Dover and to the north, the big rock pile that is Mt. Washington which is covered in snow again.  All  in all one of the top ten days of spring for the views because there was not a cloud in the sky.

Now back during the summer between high school and college, I had found an ad in the paper for a seasonal job of manning the fire tower on Kingston Hill.  I thought it sounded like the perfect job for me.  Dad said I would just be bored.  But the lure of the fire tower has been with me ever since.  And today was the first time I had ever seen someone up in the tower doing fire watch.  I immediately start thinking that a trip up to the top of the tower would make a great blog post.  Actually getting to do something I wanted to do way back before I joined the fire service.  As we walked by, I chickened out knocking on the door and instead waved to the spotter before we started down.  But you can check out the NH fire tower site and see for yourself why I find these so interesting.

So if anyone reading this knows one of the fire spotters who man the towers in the summer months...well I would love to go up and visit.  Or maybe we'll just have to wait for another red flag day and head up Blue Job. And this time I will just climb up and knock...now that would make a good blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment