"once you find the life you love, you have to find the courage to live it." ~John Irving

Saturday, April 21, 2012

In the garden of..

Each spring I get high hopes for my "garden" and I have decided that after 5 years of poor yields that I am just not going to do it.  So this year I have planted some shallots and garlic...and if they take great and if not well I am just going to let it go.  I do have a successful herb garden and my inside plants look great.  My next project will be to plant my rosemary that I picked up this morning.  Just trying to decide if it is going to go in the ground or live in a pot.  While planting that I also have a spider plant cutting that wants to live in its new home as well.

I love fragrant herbs and you can find lavender, chives, sage, thyme, and mint growing around my yard.  I can't wait until my yard looks older because right now it still has that "just moved in" feel to it.  I love older homes with their well tended and well loved yards.  One of these days we will get to landscaping our backyard with a stone patio, pergola, and built in fireplace.  I want my yard to be our little sanctuary and I want it pretty as well as functional.

And if it weren't for the onslaught of black flies, I would be out tending to my yard before the rain moves in.  But I was forced back inside with new little bites all around the back of my neck.   For a cloudy day, it's been delightfully sunny here in Barnstead.  The windows are open and a gentle breeze is blowing through the house.  The only creature not enjoying the breeze is the cat who has decided she needs to live in the basement again.  But as seen in these photos, she does come out of hiding every once in a great while.

I am also making steady progress on John's sweater.  I am well more than 3/4 of the way done with the body of it and have used up at least half of the total yardage of yarn.  Good thing too because in my mind I am already onto my next project.  I have some cotton yarn I want to use up with a knitted tank top.  Simple yet pretty.

And since I didn't run this am, here is to hoping for a dry run on Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment