"once you find the life you love, you have to find the courage to live it." ~John Irving

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

On my (running) soapbox

I was asked after my last post if I have any advice or motivational tips for new runners.  Well I have had a day or so to ponder this and yes, I guess I do have some advice.  I started running back when I was working at my last job.  Some of the nurses and other therapists I worked with were runners.  I thought, hey I bet I can do that.  So I started by signing up for a 5k.  I already worked out 5-6 days a week so I didn't follow any type of training program for my first race.  But I hear the couch to 5k program is a good place to start for those who need some endurance training.  

My first race was the St.Charles Children's Home 5k held in Newington NH.  It is held every year on the Monday of Labor Day weekend.  For a small fee I got a t shirt and a winner's medal (first time racer).  I was hooked on the swag.  From there it kind of took off.  And before I knew it winter had rolled around and the girls at work convinced me that a half marathon would be the next best thing to try.  I found a training plan that would be carried out over the next 12 weeks.  The worst thing I did training for Big Lake was the weekend before the race, two of the girls and I decided to run the course.  Yup I slogged through 13 miles without water and got scorched in the process.  It was miserable and I had to do it all over again the next weekend.  Except race day came during the first day of what was to become some of the worse flooding rains New Hampshire had ever seen.

That was about 8 years ago and I am still going strong.  Wow, 8 years!  And once you start running, you find other people do it too. A lot of other people do it! This is the first year I have ever run a race series and I will once again be doing the Big Lake Half.  I can't wait until May 11 when Steve-O arrives for our annual pasta dinner and a night of watching NHL playoffs.  Then we will be off early the next morning for Alton Bay.  The boys will finish hours (ok maybe not that long, but it will quite awhile) before me and will be waiting for me at the finish line.  It's a tradition I look forward to carrying on for many moons to come!

So as for advice, start slow, don't bite off more than you can chew and most of all, have fun.  Enjoy being outside and taking some time to yourself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment