"once you find the life you love, you have to find the courage to live it." ~John Irving

Monday, April 8, 2013

Well that was fun...

Sunday was bright and clear when I got up, but it soon clouded over and a breeze picked up.  It was one of those days when you can't decided whether you want short sleeves or do you layer.  I left the house wearing a thermal layer under a t shirt...all wicking layers.  And I threw a sweatshirt over it all for good measure.  By the time we finally got to the race course I had stripped off the sweatshirt and was debating on losing the long sleeve thermal layer.  Ultimately I took the long sleeve off only to put it back on at the last minute.  Wise decision on my part because my sleeve later became my nose wiping device as we ran into the wind.

I finished the moderately hilly course in 34:58.  Way off from my PR of two years ago...by almost 8 minutes, but not bad for someone who really hasn't run since last summer.  That and having a c section 10 weeks ago didn't really help my cause.  But it felt good to be out there with Megan.  We were able to get one of the last three parking spots at the high school where registration and number pick up take place.  I was able to pump 45 minutes before the race and that made the girls feel good enough under their double reinforcement of sports bras.

I feel great this morning and have already signed up for the Seacoast Series...the swag is better than the Capital Area Race Series.  And the races are spread out between May and October.  We will start the series on May 26 with the Redhook 5k after skipping the first race to participate in another local race.  The better part is they are all stroller friendly.  John is going to run with us so I won't have to worry about always pushing Grayson.  I figure when I do push him, I will burn a few more calories.  Today is our first run on the roads at home...I have been debating just walking the dirt sections to keep thr bouncing to a minimum and I will stick to running the pavement, but seriously in this town of incredibly poorly maintained roads it really doesn't make a difference between the paved and dirt roads.  There I said it...our roads suck here.

Now I just have to wait for my baby to wake up and my husband to get home so we can hit road.  I was going to say dusty trail, but our roads are muddy and filled with holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment