"once you find the life you love, you have to find the courage to live it." ~John Irving

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sunday Thoughts

I ended my running drought yesterday and participated in a 5 mile road race up in Concord.  It was a perfect day here in Central New Hampshire, but the only drawback was there were absolutely NO bathrooms at the start or the finish.  So I had to run all five miles on a very full bladder that had something the size of a lemon pressing against it.  Every time I thought I had found a good place to jump off the road and pop a squat...there would be piles of poison ivy that I would have to wade through.  So I kept going. I am not going to lie, my pace was very slow at 11:55 and I had to walk the giantly long hill up Clinton Street at the beginning.  But the bigger thing was I was out there doing it!  I feel pretty good today despite the sore back and sore knees.  I have one race left in the Capital Area Race Series and that will finish up next weekend in Canterbury.  At least I know what to expect with the Canterbury Woodchuck 5k....hills, lots of hills!

The race was a beautiful course in parts of Concord most people do not see on a regular basis.  I mean we were so close to downtown, but we were running through corn fields and the campus of St. Paul's School which seemed very far removed from the Capital building.

It's been very nice the last few days to leave the windows open and allow the breeze to flow through the house after almost a week of hot and humid weather.  I guess it's going to start to creep back in for the early part of next week.  Ahh the joys of summer in New England.  The weather definitely has it's ups and downs this time of year.  Tuesday we had a nasty storm roll through town and our backyard still has branches littered all over it.  For a few hours it seemed every fire department (ours included) in the Lakes Region was out with wires and trees down.  We were just lucky we didn't lose any large trees that could've damaged the house, shed or our cars.  But that nasty storm knocked out the high temps and the oppressive humidity.


No comments:

Post a Comment