"once you find the life you love, you have to find the courage to live it." ~John Irving

Friday, July 6, 2012

A good book and a chair in the shade...

I have been reading up a storm the last month or so.  I enjoy sitting out in my yard in a chair with my feet up, a cold drink at my side, and good book in my lap.  I am so thankful for my kindle and it's easy operation.  I have already read a dozen or so books since the beginning of June.  I have been using New Hampshire Downloadable Books for the past six months or so.  Way cheaper than buying everything off of Amazon.  And the way I plow through books this definitely saves the wallet.  So easy to use, you just log into your library with your library card number plus a unique prefix and away you go.  You can search for books that are currently available or find ones that may have a waiting list.  The problem with the waiting list is that I have sometimes waited for months for a book.

So far my top picks for summer are:
Up: A mother and daughter's peakbagging adventure by Patricia Ellis Herr.  It was a quick read about a mom who takes her 5 year old up all the 4000 footers in New Hampshire.  Having done quite a few 4000 footers, I can't imagine doing it as a little kid.

The Fifty Shades Triology by E.L James is also another not to miss read.  Would make a great poolside or beach read!  I think I read all three over the course of a week.

Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts was the first fire book I had read in a long time.  Wonderful book about the Missoula smoke jumpers with a mystery thrown in.  Made me want to pack my bags and head out west for fire season.

Last on my list is Nightwoods by Charles Frazier.  The author of Cold Mountain is back with a murder mystery/love story set deep in Appalachia during the late 50s or early 60s.

Those are it for now, but given that I am finishing a book every three to four days there will be an update or two later this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment