"once you find the life you love, you have to find the courage to live it." ~John Irving

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Over the river and through the flooded plains

like a drowned rat
Saturday morning was a gray, cold, and rainy one here in New Hampshire.  As I padded through the bay of the fire station towards my muffin I scowled at the wet parking lot.  We had another road race in a few hours and the weather was not going to be in our favor.  Actually it was in my favor because it sure beats 85 and humid.  We did this race with Megan and Phoebe.  I have to thank Karen for her picture taking skills while holding an umbrella!  It was a surprisingly refreshing course that took as the name of the race stated over the river and through the woods.  I got to see a neat little part of Concord that I never knew was there.  One part of the course made me stop just to take in the sight of the lush green carpet and the tall pines looming overhead as far as the eye could see.  It was breathtaking.

Meg, me, and John trying to stay dry
I have seem to have lost my mojo for most things this past week as I have been plowing through the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy.  I have maybe knit three rows on my sweater and forget running.  I did manage one day on the treadmill this week.  I definitely wasn't feeling the best this morning after a shortened night at the fire station.  The cops had us out at 1am putting out an illegal campfire.  I did my race pacing Megan and even got her a PR.    It felt good to be out there with her.  We talked the whole time and I am not normally someone who likes to run and talk.  Guess that means we should hang out together more often.



apres race
Woke up on Sunday to another cloudy gray day.  After John got home from the station we headed up to Franklin to have breakfast at Ralph and Jo's Cafe.  Excellent place run by Rebecca and Brandy Underwood.  We'll be back for lunch!  We did our grocery shopping on the way home and then it became the lazy Sunday on the couch day.  Perfect weather for finishing my book and then enjoying a nap.  I did manage to get the top of my sweater completed as well.  All in all, despite the rain, it was the perfect weekend surrounded by good friends and great books.

No comments:

Post a Comment